Saturday, February 27, 2010

Dorian vs Derek: Dueling Doms


It’s always interesting to me how people react to our Velvet Ice (i.e.: our BDSM) titles.  Neither Sierra nor I are a part of the lifestyle, but we’ve both sought out people who are as a kind of “reality check” for our characters.  So my most recent “hmmm” moment comes on the heels of the releases of Unmasking Dorian and Velvet Valentines.

Dorian was supposed to be a “hard core” Dom.  In an earlier book (Meredith’s, I think, though he made an appearance in Carrie’s and Daniel’s books, too) we caught a glimpse of him leading a sub around on a leash.  At that point in our writing, the idea of that kind of submission seemed very exotic to both of us.  I wonder now, though, if we didn’t push the envelope enough in Dorian’s story. 

Derek, on the other hand, was so far into denial that when he finally snapped the chain, man he did it in a BIG way.  Writing the scenes between Elise and Derek pushed the boundaries of what I was comfortable with on a lot of levels.  Because the level of intimacy Derek (and Elise – maybe even more from Elise) demanded, I think it made me a little uncomfortable.

Interestingly, readers seem to prefer Derek.

Looking back, I wonder if that’s because of the BDSM elements in the stories, or if it’s got more to do with the emotional intimacy of the relationships.  It’s a riddle.  I also have to wonder how readers will react to our next book, Velvet Submission, which will be out Monday night, 3/1/10.  Submission is our second venture into the mind of a Domme.  The first, Binding Ben, was pretty successful at Phaze. 

Submission brings back two of my favorite secondary characters – Megan from Sinful treats, and Gregori from Unmasking Dorian.  Both characters are wounded, and neither realizes how much they’ve allowed their pasts to shape them.  Megan and Gregori gave me all sorts of trouble – each was so sure that s/he was right, and neither wanted to bend.  Of course, this made it even more luscious when they gave in!

I hope you’ll check out Velvet Submission when it’s available (that’s Monday evening, 3/1), and I hope you’ll check out Dorian and Derek’s stories if you haven’t already.  We’d love to hear what you have to say!

Vj

No comments: